Specific phobias are an overwhelming and unreasonable fear of objects or situations that pose little real danger but provoke anxiety and avoidance. Unlike the brief anxiety you may feel when giving a speech or taking a test, specific phobias are long lasting, cause intense physical and psychological reactions, and can affect your ability to function normally at work, at school or in social settings.
Specific phobias are among the most common anxiety disorders, and not all phobias need treatment. But if a specific phobia affects your daily life, then Solutions Focused Hypnotherapy can help you work through and overcome your fears — often permanently.
Phobias can be about anything or any situation, but the most common are flying, enclosed spaces, crowds, heights, using public transport, spiders, vomiting, choking.
Symptoms often include:
- An immediate feeling of intense fear, anxiety and panic when exposed to or even thinking about the source of your fear
- Awareness that your fears are unreasonable or exaggerated but feeling powerless to control them
- Worsening anxiety as the situation or object gets closer to you in time or physical proximity
- Doing everything possible to avoid the object or situation or enduring it with intense anxiety or fear
- Physical reactions and sensations, including sweating, rapid heartbeat, tight chest or difficulty breathing
I use a modern and effective form of therapy which usually needs only 3 sessions (4 including the free initial consultation). Once you have been guided through this process during the sessions, it will become a valuable coping tool for the future.